Starburst candies are packed with a variety of great-tasting fruit flavors and a deliciously chewy texture, to be enjoyed anytime and anywhere however are Starburst vegan?
The taffy sweet Starburst is manufactured by the Wrigley Company with the tagline, “Unexplainably Juicy”.
There are many different varieties of Starburst and for the remainder of the article we will be focusing on Fruit Chews. The varities of Starburst that you can expect to find are:
- Starburst Fruit Chews
- Starburst Minis
- Starburst Gummies,
- Starburst GummiBursts®
- Starburst Jellybeans.
Fruit Chews are loved for their juicy “bursts” of flavor and now come in many variations. If you’re a vegan, can you eat Starburst?
Let’s find out…
Are Starburst Fruit Chews Vegan-Friendly?
The Answer is: Depends on where you live
USA: No, Unfortunately, Starburst Fruit Chews are not vegan. The US variant of Starburst contains gelatin which is commonly derived from collagen taken from animal body parts.
UK: Yes, Fortunately, Starburst Fruit Chews do not contain gelatin
What Are Starburst Made Of?
Starburst Fruit Chew Ingredients
Ingredients for Pink Strawberry flavor: Sugar, corn syrup, hydrogenated palm kernel oil, less than 2% of: citric acid, tapioca dextrin, gelatin, apple juice from concentrate, modified corn starch, natural and artificial flavors, color (red 40).
Why Are Starburst Considered Not Vegan?
Starburst is not vegan due to the ingredients they contain or how some vegans may perceive these ingredients. The following ingredients in Starburst Fruit Chews will be of concern to you if you’re a strict ethical vegan whose concerns go beyond just dietary requirements:
- Palm kernel oil is sourced unethically: Although palm kernel oil is vegan, it is rejected by some of the vegan community as the farming process causes deforestation and harms wildlife.
- Natural flavors: It is unconfirmed that “natural flavors” are plant-based and it is better to stay away from the ingredient. “Natural” can be animal-derived or plant-based.
- Artificial colors: Include red 40, yellow 5 & 6, and blue 1 which are usually tested on animals.
- Bone char is used to bleach white sugar: Bone char is made from crushed cattle bones.
- Beetle waste is used: Confectioner’s glaze contains shellac.
Starburst Fruit Chews contain a small amount of fruit-juice. Apple, lemon, strawberry, and orange fruit concentrates are used, while ingredients like pectin and lecithin are sourced from real fruit and vegetables.
While Starburst contains plant-derivatives, unfortunately, they cannot be classified as 100 percent vegan.
For more on Starburst, head to the official website here